An Effective Communicator = A Successful PR Practitioner

When I first decided to take the PR program at Mohawk College, the driving force behind this decision was my desire to add that extra little something to my resume. Now that I look back at that point in time, there was another factor in play that I've come to realize during these last couple of weeks in our first semester.


About two years ago, I found myself contemplating my professional situation and the next step on my career path. I felt like my qualifications could use a boost, so I turned to the information powerhouse that is the internet. Given my prior educational experience at Mohawk College, it wasn't long before I stumbled upon the list of programs on Mohawk's website.


After scanning through a number of programs, I finally stopped on the Public Relations homepage. The first paragraph, specifically the second sentence, drew me right in - "A talent for communicating?" After thinking about this rhetorical question, I realized that one of my many life lessons to be learned is the art of communication.


One of the classes taken in the first semester of the PR program is (and to no surprise) Principles of PR. This class has covered all of the PR basics, including the principles of effective communications.


Communication is the act of transmitting information, ideas and attitudes from one person (PR practitioner) to another (the public).


From a PR perspective, the goals of communication are to:
- Persuade
- Motivate
- Achieve mutual understanding



With these principles and goals in mind, the objectives of a PR practitioner should be:
1. Message exposure
2. Accurate dissemination of the message
3. Achieve acceptance of the message
4. Achieve attitude change
5. Evoke behavioural change


Looking at these goals and objectives, I've paid close attention to helpful tips for effective communications:
1. Listening is essential.
2. One way communication (just getting the message out) will get you nowhere; two way communication is necessary for relationship building and understanding.
3. Interpersonal is still (and will always be) the most effective way to communicate.
4. Recognize that the media are gate-keepers - your message can be lost and distorted.
5. PR practitioners need to be at the forefront of new technology to facilitate effective communications in today's society.



Combining all of these goals, objectives and tips for effective communications, I believe that every PR practitioner should make the effort to combine the old with the new - make good use of the new technology tools that are available to you, but never forget those basics of communication.


And remember, "AN EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATOR = A SUCCESSFUL PR PRACTITIONER."

Comments