A fraction of my journey

3rd decade down, infinitely more to go. I’m just about half way through my 5th year of post-secondary school and boy do I wish I just stayed in school from day one. The problem with starting college when your 26 is that there is quite a significant age gap. Not that it matters to anyone else but you’d be amazed at how much it matters to you. No one cared about how much older I was but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t something that I had thought about frequently. It’s not even the age difference that bothers me, it’s the level of involvement these people seem to have over their own lives, I wish when I was that age I had it together so much, but alas, there is no going back.
These last few months in the PR program at Mohawk College have been eye opening to say the least. I’ve realized how terrible I am at managing my time, and am taking great strides to correct that. That seems miniscule thought to the amount of things I think I’ve discovered I was pretty good at. One of the biggest and most precious parts of school is making and growing relationships with your class mates and this program is no different. All of the “book learnin” I’ve done this year is of course valuable on an intrinsic level but meeting people and building friendships has always been the main draw of institutionalized learning.
There is no greater value then learning and being involved in something bigger then yourself, this program really gives you that feeling. The feeling as if your part of something….bigger. You make friends and together you work towards learning how to communicate in a business setting. You take in skills and drink up qualities that are wonderful when measured singularly but are so much more powerful when measured by the mass of their combined parts. There is strength in numbers and I’m part of a team now. Our numbers are many and our faults are few and moving forward we can be sure to take the business communication world by storm.
Many nights were spent slaving away at media lists or planning strategies and tactics with the odd print and design assignment mixed in. I spent so much time stressing over these projects that I never got to take the time to realise how much I was learning. There was definetly a lot to take in but it was worth it  in every way. I have been searching for my niche ever since I decided to get my life back on track late in the game, and after 7 years of looking, I really feel like ive final yfound it. I appears that my future might still hold a fun and exciting career. Now with the semester is winding down on me I get to take a look back and think of all the people that helped me get here, a place I never expected to be…I’m gonna be an adult soon!
A little video to try and express this feeling.



Trust me, if I can do it, you can too!              

Comments