Blogging and Public Relations

When first starting the Public Relations program and Mohawk College, I did not know what to expect. Coming from university, college was a huge change for me. Every assignment in college provides me with hands on experience. I can honestly say that I have learnt so many skills from all the assignments that I have completed over the course of the semester. The most intriguing assignment to me this semester was the blog assignment. What can a blog teach you about public relations? I thought to myself the day Tim handed out the guidelines to the assignment. Through writing, posting, viewing, and working on the assignment I have come to realize that blogging can teach you more than you think!



So then began my blogging journey. What should I blog about? Will people read it? Will I actually continue using this blog after the assignment is done? Many questions rolled through my head while sitting in front of my computer seriously struggling on what to write about for my first blog post.


After finally breaking through my writers block, I realized something, blogs are a perfect way to enhance ones personal brand and that is a vital step to becoming a public relations practitioner. Healthy social media pages are what employers will look for when you're applying for a job. I have lost count on how many times we are told that what you post on the internet is there forever, but it's true. As a PR student, you should want to advertise your personal brand online in a classy professional way that shows your own personality but is also tasteful, appropriate, and purposeful. It sounds like a lot, but it's really easy if you start with a blog! Blogs give you the freedom to write on topics that interest you personally and give you a way to really show the industry that you have a voice. They are an online portion of your personal portfolio and can be used to show professionals just how great you are at writing. A blog the perfect way to start your new clean and classy social media network based on its versatility in showcasing you as a unique person and writer. 

Not only is blogging the perfect way to show off how great you are as a writer, it is a way for you to connect with other people in the industry. Networking, which all PR students find out sooner rather than later, is huge. Your blog, now up and running, gives you an opportunity to network with other bloggers - specifically ones in the same field as you! You never know who might be able to help you in the future so you should always be connecting with people who can help you, and who you can help as well. Blogs are a good way to branch out and really master your networking capabilities. 

Make yourself stand out in a crowd. Put your voice out there. Keep on blogging.
Now that you have a blog will you continue to use it? 

Comments