Putting Theory Into Practice: A Freelance Experience


I was nervous, scared, anxious, and frustrated. Before I started the Public Relations program at Mohawk College, I was uncertain about everything, but I wanted to do it all. Working two jobs, volunteering, having a social life, while in school and trying to gain as much experience as I possibly could, I took on a new project.  Along with all of my other responsibilities, I decided to try my hand at freelancing; an opportunity arose, and I just couldn’t turn it down. This job was the real deal, the dream job, it incorporated all of my favourite parts of PR (event planning and graphic design) and was a chance for me to gain experience in the real world on my own.

The task: plan an event for a new startup business to launch their holiday product line. Now, this wasn’t entirely new to me, I have run plenty of events and fundraisers on a volunteer basis in the past; therefore I was totally up for the challenge. What I didn’t realize moving forward is how much I had already learned during only two months of the PR program and how it had completely changed my way of thinking. Almost everything I had learned thus far in the program could be applied to my new venture, something I rarely experienced throughout my university education.

I began by conducting a communications audit and company analysis, AKA research, research, and more research. Although tedious, there are so many benefits to doing research and conducting a communications audit. This process allowed me to better understanding of the industry my client was in; it also allowed me to see who their audience is, how they communicate with them, and who their competitors are. This information was extremely helpful when I moved into the planning process.

Once I was finished researching, I used this new information to create a strategic action plan. I found myself thinking much more strategically throughout this whole experience, something I didn’t realize I picked up in the program until afterward. The assignments are all structured in such a way, where strategic thinking is built right in. Before I knew it, I had developed a complete strategic plan filled with media releases, invitation content and design planning, event planning, website constructions, budgeting, and a social media overhaul. All of which I learned and practiced within the first couple months of the program.

Something that particularly interested me was learning about the PR profession; the different sectors and functions, the differences between agency and departmental work, and how to charge for PR services. This proved to be especially beneficial for my freelance venture, as I had to figure out how to invoice and charge for my services.

Throughout my freelance experience, I learned so many things that stretched far beyond the classroom, and I developed a great appreciation for the profession itself. Although I have already learned so much in such a short period of time in the program, I learned that I still have a lot to still learn moving forward. I was challenged with working with toilsome clients, tight deadlines, and ever-changing objectives...matters not necessarily taught in the classroom. Although I faced a lot of difficulties, upsets, and stressful long nights I learned a lot throughout the experience. Freelancing made me realize that the most surprising and unexpected skill I've gained thus far in the program is self-confidence. In every lecture, test, and assignment I hand in I’ve learned something new along the way, and the results have been surprisingly positive. I’m excited to continue learning, and I can’t wait to see what term two has in store for us.

Comments

  1. Please provide a light white T-shirt to Novak. Navy blue is not the right color in that heat. Fair chance vs the incredible Millman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment